This talk is informal and conversational (which is how I normally talk). Distilling out all my rambling, the main points I touch on are:
- Why networking?
- Social networking as an alternative to travel (good for parents like me!)
- What skills do we have as PhDs?
- Science communication.
- Doing something versus knowing something.
- Breaking into data science.
- The importance of side projects.
I've said a few of these things before (my time with Uber and my decision to stay in academia) but this is the most comprehensive collection of what little I've learned along the way.